Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A funeral for happiness

authors notes

1 i would like them to get that even though something is bad like a funeral something nice can come out of it like a friend
2 i thought that this piece was easy to write because i could relate to arnold
3  the hardest part of the essay was the transition to another scene of the story
4 nothing in particular maybe punctuation
summer reading essay
Arnold Spirit- the absolutely true diary of a part-time indian
Brian Robinson-real life

After my grandfathers funeral we went to the after party and thats were i met my good friend arnold or as he is more commonly called junior. So since i'm the only person my age i decided to walk around the lobby of the restaurant and thats where i saw a little indian boy with glasses who looked kind of nerdy. i wanted someone to talk to so i went up to him and said.

“hey, my name is brian nice to meet you” i put out my hand for him to shake.
“hello my name is arnold but you can call me junior.” he shakes my hand and says “what brings you to this fine funeral?” i said “this is for my grandfather.”  he said “oh so you're that brian,i'm sorry for your lose you know i lost my grandma and sister in the same year.” i said “ thanks and im sorry for your lose but i don't like to talk about sad thing.” he said” okay so how about we talk about sports?” i said “ sure what kinds,Hockey,Baseball,Basketball?” he said “sure well i play basketball but i heard you played hockey so anything is good.” but as i was going to say something his parents came in.

they said “hello,brian im sorry for lose i would like to say your grandfather was a great person.,” i said thanks nice to meet you. i was just talking to junior and he said he plays basketball.” his parents said”yes him and his friend rowdy play.” i said “oh they must be good”

i talked with his parents for a while until they went to eat dinner and after that me and arnold went outside it just so happened that he had a basketball for a while and i have to say he was pretty good at it he made a lot of threes but since i'm tall i made a lot of dunks but me and him played like five games but in the end he beat me 176-108 so he actually beat me by a lot i should mention that i'm not the best at basketball.

But i asked arnold where he was from and he said he was from a reservation and that he went to a school caller reardon which was an all white school until he went there and he told me about how he got really popular but he also told me about the struggle to get popular he told me about how his best friend almost killed him because he was so mad at him for moving that he punched him in the face and almost broke his nose but he also told me about how over the long school year he made amends with rowdy and became popular and i thought that was really cool.

and after the funeral we traded number and this is how i met my good friend and fellow athlete arnold who is still my very good friend to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment